Where did Kleinman et al. find the arguments that they are now categorizing? (5 pts) 2) They create five categories of arguments (rhetorics) that say the use of “you guys” is NOT sexist. a)
Instructions: There are two parts to the homework. Part 1 is here on this page and Part 2 is on the next page. As always, you should be paraphrasing and summarizing; when you occasionally use the authors words, indicate that you are with quotation marks and page or paragraph number. And, for questions that are worth more points, you should do more writing.
Part 1 “You Guys”
Kleinman, S., Copp, M., & Wilson, K. (2021). We’ve come a long way, guys!: Rhetorics of resistance to the feminist critique of sexist language. Gender & Society, 35(1), 61-84.
Cameron, D. (2016, February 21). Guys and dudes. Language: A Feminist Guide. https://debuk.wordpress.com/2016/02/21/guys-and-dudes/
1) Where did Kleinman et al. find the arguments that they are now categorizing? (5 pts)
2) They create five categories of arguments (rhetorics) that say the use of “you guys” is NOT sexist. a) Put in your own words three of those rhetorics for why “you guys” is not sexist. b). What are counterarguments to those three rhetorics? (24 pts)
3) What is Camerons argument about the use of you guys? (16 pts)
4) What do you think? Do you use “you guys”? If so what argument best represents your stance. If you dont, which of the stances taken by people who use it do you find most bothersome? Or, if you dont find other peoples use bothersome, just explain why you dont use it. (5 pts)
Part 2 Pronouns and labels
A) CROWLEYS TEDTALK VIDEO LANGUAGE AROUND GENDER AND IDENTITY EVOLVES (AND ALWAYS HAS)?
B) MONTELL’S VIDEO THE PROBLEM WITH GENDER-NEUTRAL PRONOUNS
c) Paul, P. (2022, October 23). Lets say gay. New York Times.
d) Rocheleau, J. (2019, August 21). A former slur is reclaimed and listeners have mixed feelings. NPR. https://www.npr.org/sections/publiceditor/2019/08/21/752330316/a-former-slur-is-reclaimed-and-listeners-have-mixed-feelings
5) Watch Crowleys TedTalk video (Language around gender and identity evolves (and always has)) and Montells video (The problem with gender-neutral pronouns). (24 pts)
a. Give at least three arguments (3 altogether, not 3 each) that they provide. You can combine relevant portions of each video (their arguments might overlap).
b. How do they counter those arguments? Again, you can combine relevant portions of each video (their counterarguments might overlap). Be complete enough that what you’ve written could be understood by someone who hasn’t seen the videos.
6) Read both Paul and Rocheleau. Make clear what each author has to say about the use of ‘gay’ and ‘queer’ (both positive and negative). You should have a long paragraph for each. (20 pts)
7) How do you and people in your life use ‘queer’ or how do you hear it used? Do you share or do you have objections to any of the opinions voiced by Paul or Rocheleau? (6 pts)
Requirements: answers all questions in depth
Collepals.com Plagiarism Free Papers
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we\'ll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.