Question 1 At year-end 2018, Marvel Company total assets were $4.5 million, and its accounts payable were $850,000. Sales,
Question 1 At year-end 2018, Marvel Company total assets were $4.5 million, and its accounts payable were $850,000. Sales, which in 2018 were $5.5 million, are expected to increase by 25% in 2019. Total assets and accounts payable are proportional to sales, and that relationship will be maintained. Marvel typically uses no current liabilities other than accounts payable. Common stock amounted to $ 2.25 million in 2018, and retained earnings were $150,000. Marvel has arranged to sell $25,000 of new common stock in 2019 to meet some of its financing needs. The remainder of its financing needs will be met by issuing new long-term debt at the end of 2019. (Because the debt is added at the end of the year, there will be no additional interest expense due to the new debt.) Its net profit margin on sales is 2.5%, and 55% of earnings will be paid out as dividends.
a. What were Marvel’s total long-term debt and total liabilities in 2018?
b. How much new long-term debt financing will be needed in 2019? (Hint: AFN – New stock = New long-term debt.)
Question 2 Suppose you decide (as did Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg) to start a company.Your product is a software platform that integrates a wide range of media devices, including laptop computers, desktop computers, digital video recorders, and cell phones. Your initial market is the student body at your university. Once you have established your company and set up procedures for operating it, you plan to expand to other colleges in the area and eventually to go nationwide. At some point, hopefully sooner rather than later, you plan to go public with an IPO and then to buy a yacht and take off for the South Pacific to indulge in your passion for underwater photography. With these issues in mind, you need to answer for yourself, and potential investors, the following questions.
- What is an agency relationship? When you first begin operations, assuming you are the only employee and only your money is invested in the business, would any agency conflicts exist? Explain your answer.
- If you expanded and hired additional people to help you, might that give rise to agency problems? Explain your answer
- Suppose you need additional capital to expand, and you sell some stock to outside investors. If you maintain enough stock to control the company, what type of agency conflict might occur?
- Suppose your company raises funds from outside lenders. What type of agency costs might occur? How might lenders mitigate the agency costs?
- Suppose your company is very successful, and you cash out most of your stock and turn the company over to an elected board of directors. Neither you nor any other stockholders own a controlling interest (this is the situation at most public companies). List six potential managerial behaviors that can harm a firm’s value.
- What is corporate governance? List five corporate governance provisions that are internal to a firm and under its control. What characteristics of the board of directors usually lead to effective corporate governance?
- List three provisions in the corporate charter that affect takeovers.
- Briefly describe the use of stock options in a compensation plan. What are some potential problems with stock options as a form of compensation?
- What is block ownership? How does it affect corporate governance?
- Briefly explain how regulatory agencies and legal systems affect corporate governance.
Submit your answers in a Word document.
Need proper good length answers without plagiarism.
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we\'ll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.