Next week we will build our database in a popular database management system, but before we get there, it’s important you understand what is happening in SQL. Every database system is s
Next week we will build our database in a popular database management system, but before we get there, it's important you understand what is happening in SQL. Every database system is slightly different, so if you have a strong understanding of the underlying concepts, it becomes easier for you to troubleshoot between different databases.
Note: While we are learning about joins and unions, you do not use those when creating a database. They are used for building reports and querying the database, which we will learn practice in future units.
Test the dataset you have selected to build the database for your assignments using Microsoft Access
The process is to import your datasets into Access to test and make sure it is ready for SQL.
Submit the .ACCDB file for grading.
Student Enrollment Management System (SEMS) Documentation.
In today's dynamic educational landscape, efficient data management is paramount to providing a seamless learning experience. Educational institutions face numerous challenges in managing student enrollments, courses, and instructors, which can lead to administrative inefficiencies and data inaccuracies. The "Student Enrollment Management System" project aims to address these challenges by introducing a comprehensive database application. This proposal outlines the business context, identifies the problems that this system will solve, describes the entities and their attributes, defines critical business rules, presents a tentative Entity-Relationship Diagram (ERD), and provides an overview of the application's functionality.
1 Project Proposal 1 1.1 1.1 Introduction 1 1.2 1.2 Problem Statement 2 1.3 1.3 Proposed Database Solution 2 1.4 1.4 Business Rules 3 1.5 1.5 Entity-Relationship Diagram (ERD) 3 2 Updated Group Proposal 5 2.1 Enhancements 5 2.2 Prototype of the Application 5 2.3 Final Functional Database Application 5 2.4 Database Development 5 2.5 Query Functionality 6
The Student Enrollment Management System (SEMS) is a database application developed to streamline and enhance the student enrollment process at XYZ University. This documentation outlines the project proposal, including problem statement, proposed database solution, and an Entity-Relationship Diagram (ERD) for the system.
The manual student enrollment process at XYZ University is error-prone, leads to scheduling conflicts, and causes delays in providing essential services. These challenges necessitate the development of a robust SEMS to address the following issues:
· Lack of a centralized system for student registration.
· Scheduling conflicts due to manual enrollment.
· Inaccurate course management leading to credit-hour discrepancies.
· Limited reporting capabilities for administrators.
To solve the aforementioned issues, we propose the development of a comprehensive SEMS database application that includes the following classes/entities:
a. Student: To manage student information.
b. Subject: To represent the main subject areas, each containing multiple courses.
c. Instructor: To maintain information about instructors.
d. Assignment: To track instructor assignments to courses.
e. Enrollment: To record student enrollments in subjects.
f. Courses: To represent individual courses within a subject, including credit hours.
· StudentID (Primary Key, Autoincrement, Integer)
· FirstName (Text)
· LastName (Text)
· DateOfBirth (Date)
· PhoneNumber (Text)
· Email (Text)
· InstructorID (Primary Key, Autoincrement, Integer)
· FirstName (Text)
· LastName (Text)
· PhoneNumber (Text)
· Email (Text)
· CourseID (Primary Key, Autoincrement, Integer)
· CourseTitle (Text)
· Description (Text)
· CreditHours (Integer)
· SubjectID (Foreign Key, Integer)
· EnrollmentID (Primary Key, Autoincrement, Integer)
· StudentID (Foreign Key, Integer)
· CourseID (Foreign Key, Integer)
· EnrollmentDate (Date)
Business Rule 1: Each student can enroll in multiple courses.
Business Rule 2: A course must have at least one enrolled student.
Business Rule 3: An instructor can teach multiple courses.
Business Rule 4: Enrollment dates must be within the academic calendar.
The ERD for SEMS is as follows:
Explanations of Relationships:
1. Student – Enrolment (One-to-Many):
· One student can have multiple enrollments.
· This relationship allows tracking of multiple enrollments by a single student.
2. Courses – Enrolments (One-to-Many):
· One course can have multiple student enrollments.
· This relationship allows you to associate multiple students with a single course.
3. Instructor – Assignment (One-to-Many):
· One instructor can have multiple teaching assignments.
· Instructors are assigned to courses.
4. Assignment – Courses (Many-to-One):
· Many assignments are associated with one course.
· This relationship links instructors' assignments to specific courses.
5. Courses – Subject (Many-to-One):
· Many courses belong to one subject.
· This relationship organizes courses into subject categories.
These relationships define how data is related and interconnected within the SEMS database. They facilitate the management of student enrolments, courses, instructors, assignments, and the organization of courses within subjects.
Top of Form
Based on feedback and further analysis, the project proposal has been enhanced with the following improvements:
· Refined problem statement.
· Improved database solution.
· Updated and refined ERD.
The prototype of the SEMS application includes the following functionalities:
· Student registration with unique Student IDs.
· Course and subject management with instructor assignments.
· Student enrollment process with conflict resolution.
The Student Enrollment Management Functionalities:
· Users can register and log in.
· Students can enroll in courses.
· Instructors can assign courses to students.
· Generate reports on enrollment data.
· Manage student and instructor information.
The final database application includes the following components:
· Development of the complete database structure.
· Creation of tables with actual student, subject, course, and instructor data.
The SEMS provides a wide range of query functionalities, including:
· Student and instructor data retrieval.
· Scheduling conflict checks.
· Enrollment history reporting.
· Credit-hour tracking.
In conclusion, the proposed Student Enrollment Management System will address critical data management challenges in educational institutions. By efficiently managing student enrollments, courses, and instructors, the system will enhance the educational experience and administrative processes.
Student Table StudentID PK FK FirstName PK FK LastName PK FK Course Table CourseID PK FK SubjectID PK FK CourseTittle PK FK Enrollment Table EnrollmentID PK FK StudentID PK FK EnrollmentDate PK FK DateOfBirth PK FK NextOfKin PK FK Address PK FK EmergencyContact PK FK Relationship PK FK Description PK FK PhoneNumber PK FK Instructor Table InstructorID PK FK FirstName PK FK LastName PK FK Address PK FK Email PK FK PhoneNumber PK FK Assignment Table AssignmentID PK FK InstructorID PK FK CourseID PK FK Subject Table SubjectID PK FK Subject Tittle PK FK attribute name PK FK Credit Hours PK FK CourseID PK FK SubjectID PK FK Teaches M1 M2 M3 M4 Enrolls M1 M2 M3 M4 Enrolled M1 M2 M3 M4 M1 M2 M3 M4 Belongs To M1 M2 M3 M4
|1||1||Computer Science 101||Introduction to Programming||3|
|2||2||History 101||World History I||4|
|3||3||Chemistry 101||General Chemistry||4|
|4||4||Finance 101||Financial Principles||3|
|5||1||Mathematics 101||College Algebra||3|
|1||Professor||Smith||(111) 222-3333||[email protected]|
|2||Dr.||Johnson||(222) 333-4444||[email protected]|
|3||Ms.||Brown||(333) 444-5555||[email protected]|
|4||Mr.||Garcia||(444) 555-6666||[email protected]|
|1||John||Doe||(123) 456-7890||[email protected]|
|2||Jane||Smith||(987) 654-3210||[email protected]|
|3||Bob||Johnson||(555) 123-4567||[email protected]|
|4||Alice||Brown||(444) 789-1234||[email protected]|
|5||Music & Art|
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we'll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.