CONCEPTUALIZING CHANGE MANAGEMENT
Organizational change first causes instability but ultimately, if managed well, can lead to opportunity. There are many ways to conceptualize the change process and its effect on the organization and staff—including Kotter’s eight-step theory of change. The process focuses on a short-term strategy to address immediate concerns and includes decisions that will affect the organization long-term. On the part of a leader, the process involves communicating a clear need for change and a vision for the future, gaining buy-in from employees, and celebrating wins to motivate people along the way.
In this Discussion, you explore models of change in order to understand the change process and its relationship to management functions.
Be sure to review the Learning Resources before completing this activity.
- Review the Learning Resources on organizational change.
- Consider the connection between the stages of change you use one-to-one with a client and larger-scale change management in an organization.
- Recall the four functions of management (i.e., planning, organizing, leading, controlling), and consider how they relate to change management.
BY DAY 3
Post an initial response to the following:
- In your own words, what is Kotter’s theory of organizational change?
- How do the stages of change used with clients apply to organizational change management?
- How do the four functions of management (i.e., planning, organizing, leading, controlling) connect with change management? Which function do you believe is most important in the change process and why?
- Furman, R., Gibelman, M., & Winnett, R. (2020). Internal sources of organizational change Download Internal sources of organizational change. In Navigating human service organizations: Essential information for thriving and surviving in agencies (4th ed., pp. 187–202). Oxford University Press.
Credit line: Navigating Human Service Organizations: Essential Information for Thriving and Surviving in Agencies, 4th Edition by Furman, R.; Gibelman, M.; Winnett, R. Copyright 2020 by Oxford University Press. Reprinted by permission of Oxford University Press via the Copyright Clearance Center. Licensed in 2022.
- Grimolizzi-Jensen, C. J. (2018). Organizational change: Effect of motivational interviewing on readiness to change Links to an external site.. Journal of Change Management, 18(1), 54–69. https://doi.org/10.1080/14697017.2017.1349162
- Kotter, J. P. (1998). Winning at change Links to an external site.. Leader to Leader, 1998(10), 27–33. https://doi.org/10.1002/ltl.40619981009
- Kotter. (n.d.). The 8 steps for leading change Links to an external site.. https://www.kotterinc.com/8-step-process-for-leading-change/
- Prosci. (n.d.). Five levels of change management maturity Links to an external site.. https://www.prosci.com/resources/articles/change-management-maturity-model
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we\'ll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.