WEEK 9 DISCUSSION: USING QUALITATIVE RESEARCH TO INFORM EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
“Qualitative researchers are motivated to know more about a phenomenon, a social process, or a culture from the perspectives of the people who are experiencing the phenomenon, involved in the social process, or living in the culture (Gray & Grove, 2020).
Qualitative research requires extensive time commitment and dedication. While all research can be rigorous and time consuming, by nature, the qualitative researcher seeks to build connections and trust with participants, which adds an additional layer of dedication. However, before research can even begin, researchers must first develop a research question.
Qualitative research questions tend to be broader than quantitative research questions. In a qualitative study, the researcher seeks to describe an experience or a phenomenon, so the questions are typically more global in scope. Additionally, many research questions describe and guide the research purpose, versus state it directly. Oftentimes phrases such as, “lived experience, framework or theoretical development, society, culture, or narrative” are used to describe the purpose (Gray & Grove, 2020).
For this Discussion, reflect on an area of interest and develop your own qualitative research question. How might you approach this topic and purpose? What types of research methods and design might you employ to address your qualitative research question?
Reference: Gray, J. R., & Grove, S. K. (2020). Burns and Grove’s the practice of nursing research: Appraisal, synthesis, and generation of evidence (9th ed.). Elsevier.
· Review the Learning Resources for this week and reflect on qualitative research methods and designs.
· Select a topic or issue in nursing practice to focus on for this Discussion.
· Consider a qualitative research question that you might develop to address the topic or issue in nursing practice that you selected.
· Reflect on how a qualitative research design might best support a research study to address your research question.
Post a qualitative research question in relation to your topic or issue of interest. Explain why a qualitative research design is best suited to support this research question. Then, describe potential ethical considerations you should keep in mind in relation to your qualitative research question. Be specific and provide examples.
· Gray, J. R., & Grove, S. K. (2020). Burns and Grove’s the practice of nursing research: Appraisal, synthesis, and generation of evidence (9th ed.). Elsevier.
o Chapter 4, “Introduction to Qualitative Research” (pp. 46–74)
o Chapter 12, “Qualitative Research Methods” (pp. 314–357)
· Cypress, B. S. (2019). Qualitative research: Challenges and dilemmas . Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 38(5), 264–270. doi:10.1097/DCC.0000000000000374
· Firnhaber, G. C., Roberson, D. W., & Kolasa, K. M. (2020). Nursing staff participation in end‐of‐life nutrition and hydration decision‐making in a nursing home: A qualitative study . Journal of Advanced Nursing, 76(11), 3059–3068. doi:10.1111/jan.14491
· Recine, A. G., Recine, L., & Paldon, T. (2020). How people forgive: A systematic review of nurse-authored qualitative research . Journal of Holistic Nursing, 38(2), 233–251. doi:10.1177/0898010119828080
Topic of Interest
Topic: A quality improvement (QI) initiative to improve the practice gap of medication non-compliance and positive patient outcomes for adult patients within an outpatient mental health practice setting.
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we\'ll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.