Managing Patients with End-Stage Disease Prior to beginning this assignment, read Chapters 6 and 7 from the course textbook, the Educational and Community-Based Programs?(Links to an externa
Staff Orientation: Managing Patients with End-Stage Disease
[WLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]
Prior to beginning this assignment, read Chapters 6 and 7 from the course textbook, the Educational and Community-Based Programs (Links to an external site.), What Is Hospice? (Links to an external site.), What Is Palliative Care? (Links to an external site.), What Are Palliative Care and Hospice Care? (Links to an external site.), and What Is End-of-Life Care? (Links to an external site.) web pages, and this week’s Instructor Guidance.
For this assignment, you will prepare a PowerPoint presentation Download PowerPoint presentationwith detailed speaker’s notes that is written from the perspective of being a practice manager for a community health center within a safety net hospital. Recall from HCA205 that a safety net hospital is one that provides care for patients regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay. The federal government provides subsidies to safety net hospitals to help care for non-paying patients.
The goal of this presentation is to prepare an in-service training for clinic staff members to fully understand the challenges faced by cancer or HIV/AIDS patients as they near the end-stage of their disease along with support options for patients and caregivers.
You may choose to create this assignment covering patients with end-stage cancer or end-stage HIV/AIDS. Once you have chosen the disease focus, choose the patient’s age range from one of the following:
- Childhood/Adolescence: 0–18 years
- Adult: 19–64 years
- Elderly: 65+ years
Begin your presentation by including a title slide that includes the following:
- Title of the presentation
- Student name
- Course name and number
- Instructor name
- Date submitted
Next, create an overview slide that briefly describes the required components covered within the presentation. Add bulleted points for each of the topics covered. Briefly describe each bulleted point in the speaker’s notes section. It is also recommended that you review the PowerPoint Instructions Handout Download PowerPoint Instructions Handoutas guidance for properly building this presentation. See the bullet points and speaker’s notes information below. The remaining slides will address the content of the presentation and the references.
The content must address the following required components:
- Identify the disease you chose. Include a brief description of the disease itself.
- What is the disease (e.g., lung cancer, colon cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, leukemia, HIV, AIDS, etc.)?
- Explain the following changes that can occur due to the disease:
- Explain Western Medicine and Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) treatment options available for the patient.
- Explain the way treatment options affect the patient and caregivers based on the following factors:
- Physical toll
- Emotional toll
- Social toll (changes in social interactions)
- Financial toll (socioeconomic status)
- Based on the age-range chosen, discuss the patient’s perception related to the disease on the following factors:
- Thoughts, beliefs, and fears that may be held by the patient.
- The role culture (race/ethnicity, religion/spirituality) plays in quality of life as the disease progresses.
- Why is it important for health care workers to understand these perspectives?
- Discuss biases and stigmas associated with the disease.
- Identify where those biases and stigmas may present within micro- and meso-level interactions (e.g., family, friends, colleagues, medical providers, etc.).
- Analyze the needs of a person and their caregivers facing the end-stage of the disease.
- What changes need to occur in the home to support the patient and the caregiver(s)?
- What services are needed to assist in the care and management of the home?
- What are the emotional needs of the people within the micro level? How will they be addressed?
- What other types of health care providers may be enlisted to support the patient’s quality of life?
- Research community-based programs that can possibly meet the needs of those receiving palliative, Hospice, and/or end-of-life care.
- Discuss the availability of the services you identified within your community.
- Identify costs and payment methods for the services.
- How will the family/caregivers be burdened by enlisting additional services?
- Discuss the rationale behind collaborative efforts in health care.
- Explain your rationale as to why the information in this presentation is important for the staff to know.
- Explain why this information is important to the patient, caregivers, and family to know as they navigate the health care system and community resources.
Creating the Final Presentation
The Final Presentation must:
- Must be 20 to 22 slides in length (not including title and references slides) with speaker’s notes for all content slides, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center (Links to an external site.)’s How to Make a PowerPoint Presentation (Links to an external site.).
- See the Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) and Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resources in the Writing Center for APA guidelines.
- Consider these help tools:
- PowerPoint Best Practices (Links to an external site.)
- Use at least five scholarly or credible sources (at least two should be from the University Library).
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. You may also want to review What Is CRAAP? A Guide to Evaluating Web Sources (Links to an external site.). If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Submit your final presentation via the classroom to the Waypoint Assignment submission button by Day 7 (Monday) no later than 11:59 pm.
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we\'ll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.