Identify key ideas, representative authors and works, significant historical or cultural events, and characteristic perspectives or attitudes expressed in the literature of different periods or regions.
Essay 1: Hawthorne
• Identify key ideas, representative authors and works, significant historical or cultural events, and characteristic perspectives or attitudes expressed in the literature of different periods or regions.
• Analyze literary works as expressions of individual or communal values within the social, political, cultural, or religious contexts of different literary periods.
• Write research-based critical papers about the assigned readings in clear and grammatically correct prose, using various critical approaches to literature.
Literature: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
• Some readers argue that in The Scarlet Letter we can see two forces in conflict: a revolutionary spirit that argues the case for radical change, and a more conservative impulse that pushes toward a validation of authority and the established order. Write an essay in which you consider which force the weight of the book is behind- does it call for radical change or a validation of authority and the established order.
• The essay should be at least three pages and no more than five pages in length. The works cited page does not count towards the minimum length requirement of the essay.
• Use the SJCD library and databases to research critical materials related to the literary works, the author, and/or the time period. These are to be scholarly sources such as articles from journals, essays in anthologies, a book, a chapter from a book, biographical information, and historical information.
• A minimum of 2 scholarly secondary sources must be used in the paper.
o No internet sites. Please note that articles accessed via the library’s online databases are not considered internet sources. These are print articles accessed via the library’s online databases.
o No work overviews. You may not use any work overviews such as Cliff’s Notes, Monarch Notes, Masterplots, Barron’s Booknotes , or any other such “notes” as sources. You may not use encyclopedias. If you are not sure about whether you should use a particular source, check with me.
o All sources listed on the Works Cited page must be directly referred to in the paper.
• Failure to meet the minimum source criteria listed above will result in an F for the paper grade.
• Thesis statement should be directly stated in the introduction. Please underline or highlight the thesis.
• Each body paragraph should have a topic sentence.
• Paper must be written in the present tense
• 3rd person point of view. No “I”, “We”, or “You”
• The paper must follow MLA guidelines.
ü Standard letter-size (81/2 x 11) paper
ü One inch margins on all sides of paper
ü Double space
ü Font size: 12
ü Font: Times New Roman
ü Last name and pg. number in top right hand corner (header section) of each page.
• The paper will have a heading which will contain the following information:
Course number (ENGL 2327)
Date (day month year)
• The paper must have a MLA formatted “Works Cited” page. You should have at least three entries listed on the works cited page- the novel and at least two scholarly sources.
Final Paper Submission:
You will submit essay 1 as a word document via the blackboard turnitin submission link by 11:55 PM Monday, February 14, 2022. Do not forget that the works cited page will be the last page of the essay and should be paginated with the essay, but it does not count towards the minimum page count for the essay.
• Underline or highlight the thesis statement and the topic sentences in the final paper.
• The document must be a word document (.doc or .docx) or I will not be able to open it.
• Me (S.9.218)
• Student Success Center (First floor, Library)
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we\'ll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.