Diversity, Benefits and Detriments of Microbes
Microbiology is both a basic and an applied science. It is not a single subject! It has many areas of specialization, including bacteriology, mycology (study of fungi), phycology (study of algae), virology, medical microbiology & immunology, public health, food microbiology, biotechnology, microbial genetics, and cell & molecular biology. In this assignment, we will discuss some of the various disciplines associated with microbiology and the beneficial microbes associated with them.
Feel free to download the Week One Discussion Week One Discussion – Alternative Formats assignment instructions and Grading Rubric Grading Rubric – Alternative Formats .
For your main discussion post (first post),
You must choose from among the beneficial organisms below.
It is required of all students to reserve their discussion topic using the following procedure:
Click Week 1 Discussion, above, to enter the Discussion.
Click Create Thread and type the number and scientific name of the organism you will discuss in the subject line to reserve your topic on a first come/first serve basis according to the classroom date/time stamp. Click Submit. Repeat main posts on the same organism are not permitted.
To post your main discussion you will Reply to your topic intent post.
Note: Please reserve your main discussion topic by Tuesday, thank you.
Note: Your posts must be added directly to the discussion box by Copy & Paste from your word document or by directly typing the post into the discussion box, thank you.
Please choose one of the following beneficial microbes for your main discussion:
- Aspergillus niger
- Brettanomyces bruxellensis
- Deinococcus radiodurans
- Ideonella sakaiensis
- Paenibacillus polymyxa
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae
D. You must discuss your chosen organism to tell us what type of microbe it is, what helpful beneficial actions it performs and which subfield of microbiology it is involved in. You must discuss only the helpful, beneficial, positive aspects of your chosen organism for your entire main discussion.
E. Your discussion should be well-written, in your own words, paraphrasing from only credible academic sources. You may not directly quote from your sources, minimum elaboration on the topic of a minimum of 300 words and maximum of 400 words.
F. You must also cite your credible academic reference sources with parenthetical in text citations, and provide full end ref information in APA 7th Editionformat.
G. Due by 11:59PM ET Friday, on any day of the week other than the days you post your two comments, to meet the minimum three day posting requirement.
- Comment Post Guidelines:
Two Comment Posts Required:
- Note: A comment post can only be made in response to a student’s completed main post. Please do not post a comment until the student has already posted on their completed main post topic, thank you. You will have points deducted if you add a comment to a main topic reservation that has no completed main post. Many students can comment on the same main topic.
For your second post:
- You will respond to another classmate with a substantive comment in minimum 100, maximum 150 words about how their organism is detrimental/harmful to another area of microbiology, after you have read their main discussion.
Again, you should provide student original writing, paraphrasing from credible sources, cite your source for this post in text in parentheses, and provide full end ref information in APA 7th Edition format.
- Due by 11:59PM ET Saturday, on any day of the week other than the day you posted your main discussion and second comment, to meet the minimum three day posting requirement.
For your third post:
- You will respond to a second classmate with a substantive comment of minimum 100, maximum 150 words about either positive or negative aspects of their organism, after you have read their main discussion.
Again, you should provide student original writing, paraphrasing from credible sources, cite your source for this post in text, in parentheses, and provide full end ref information in APA 7th Edition format.
- Due by 11:59PM ET Sunday, on any day of the week other than the day you posted your main discussion and first comment, to meet the minimum three day posting requirement.
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we\'ll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.