Assume you are an HR Consultant that has been hired to help Comfort Assisted Living with a recent grievance that was filed by one of its employees
Assume you are an HR Consultant that has been hired to help Comfort Assisted Living with a recent grievance that was filed by one of its employees. You will not be working on the legal aspects of the case, but you will help the company determine if the employee’s job classification is correct. Comfort Assisted Living has an HR Department but would like to obtain an outside opinion.
The employee, Gregory Williams, is currently working as a Senior HR Specialist for Comfort Assisted Living. His current job duties are provided in the Supplemental Information document posted in our classroom. Mr. Williams has been in the position for 5 years and had consistently received “outstanding” ratings on his performance evaluations until this year when he received a “meets expectations” rating. A month ago, he saw a job announcement that Comfort Assisted Living placed on Monster.com for a Deputy VP of HR. Mr. Williams was angered by the job announcement because he felt he was already performing the duties stated in the announcement. When he asked his supervisor about the job, he was told that the Deputy position was a new one that was being created and that he would have to apply for the job just like everyone else. Mr. Williams disagreed and felt his current position should be reclassified to that of a Deputy VP of HR. He has filed a grievance with Comfort Assisted Living and you have been hired to determine if Mr. William’s current job is equivalent to the new Deputy position. You have been told upfront that it has been years since the company conducted a job analysis for its HR positions so you might have to begin there before making your determination. Also, you have heard from employees that work with Mr. Williams that he has been slacking on the job lately. According to them, he routinely comes in late, takes extra long lunches, and does not submit all of his work on time. At least one of his coworkers said Mr. Williams was having health issues and that he might have to undergo chemotherapy. Another coworker said the health issues weren’t with Mr. Williams, they were with his young daughter, who has a mysterious illness that doctors are having difficulty diagnosing. You’ve checked his leave records and nothing is on file regarding an FMLA request and there is no documentation regarding possible medical issues.
In completing this assignment, you will showcase that you can conduct a job analysis and use the results to develop a job description, which will help address organizational needs/concerns. You will also demonstrate that you have an understanding of the ethical issues involved with job analyses, job evaluation, and job design. Additionally, you will show that you understand the HR context and have mastery of the fundamental student competencies identified by UMGC’s Graduate School including: communication and critical thinking.
Steps to Completion
- Review the information in the Supplemental Information file and relevant course material regarding the nature of a job analysis and its relationship to job descriptions and job classifications.
- Determine what additional information you will need in order to determine if Mr. Williams is justified in his claim.
- Decide which of the four most commonly used methods of job analysis (observation, interviews, questionnaires, functional) you will use and be prepared to defend your choice.
- Determine how you will overcome some of the most common problems in performing a job analysis. Our course material discusses several of them.
- Review and understand the key ethical considerations when conducting a job analysis and designing a job description.
- Conduct an internet search to find job typical job descriptions for Senior HR Specialists. Compare and contrast the components in those descriptions with the information given regarding Mr. Williams’s current job duties.
* O*Net – http://www.onetonline.org
* UMGC’s Online Library Databases
* Course material
* YouTube videos on job analysis such as, but not limited to:
There are two (2) separate deliverables for this assignment.
- Prepare a 5-7 page description of how you will conduct the job analysis and include a projected timeline for completion, including all of the interim steps. Assume this report will be given to the Legal Department of Comfort Assisted Living and will be a key piece of evidence if Mr. Williams’s grievance goes to court. List the required tasks, identify the critical tasks, identify the most important competencies needed, be sure the tasks and the competencies are aligned, and decide which will be used as factors in selection for this position. With that in mind, your document must include sufficient support for your plan, and include a discussion of the ethical issues that might exist in this case and how you would overcome them. Your write-up must include appropriate references and citations. The final document must be formatted according to APA guidelines.
- Given the information you have in the supplemental document and from the additional resources you found, develop a possible job description for Mr. Williams. You will have to make some assumptions regarding the nature of his work. That is fine, just be sure to highlight and explain where any major gaps exist.Include an overview of the work to be performed (company, location, title, duties and tasks, and degree of supervision/independence; list and explanation of the most essential required competencies, education and training/certification (if applicable) and preferred skills; and any other information that would help a potential applicant decide whether or not they wish to apply and how to apply should they decide to (application process, email or address to which they should send their application, etc.).
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we\'ll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.