Discuss the Diagnostic Criteria; What does this disorder look like? What does this disorder look like? What are the symptoms? 2.) Prevalenc
Develop an informative 5-10 min speech.
4 pieces of information required.
1.) Discuss the Diagnostic Criteria; What does this disorder look like? What does this disorder look like? What are the symptoms?
2.) Prevalence; Explain how common this disorder is. What are the statistics? (Ex. % of population diagnosed with schizophrenia).
3.)Implications; What are the negative consequences experienced by the person/family/society?
4.) Treatment; What treatments are there to help these people? How can we help?
Below is a file that provides a little information about the Diagnostic Criteria on Schizophrenia.
Schizophrenia DSM 5 Diagnostic Criteria
The DSM 5 outlines the following criterion to make a diagnosis of schizophrenia:
1. Two or more of the following for at least a one-month (or longer) period of time, and at least one of them must be 1, 2, or 3:
· Disorganized speech
· Grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior
· Negative symptoms , such as diminished emotional expression
1. Impairment in one of the major areas of functioning for a significant period of time since the onset of the disturbance: Work, interpersonal relations, or self-care.
2. Some signs of the disorder must last for a continuous period of at least 6 months. This six-month period must include at least one month of symptoms (or less if treated) that meet criterion A (active phase symptoms) and may include periods of residual symptoms. During residual periods, only negative symptoms may be present.
3. Schizoaffective disorder and bipolar or depressive disorder with psychotic features have been ruled out:
· No major depressive or manic episodes occurred concurrently with active phase symptoms
· If mood episodes (depressive or manic) have occurred during active phase symptoms, they have been present for a minority of the total duration of the active and residual phases of the illness.
1. The disturbance is not caused by the effects of a substance or another medical condition
2. If there is a history of autism spectrum disorder or a communication disorder (childhood onset), the diagnosis of schizophrenia is only made if prominent delusions or hallucinations, along with other symptoms, are present for at least one month
There are a number of symptoms that contribute to a diagnosis of schizophrenia.
· Inappropriate affect (laughing in the absence of a stimulus)
· Disturbed sleep pattern
· Dysphoric mood (can be depression, anxiety, or anger)
· Depersonalization (detachment or feeling of disconnect from self)
· Derealization (a feeling that surrounding aren’t real)
· Cognitive deficits impacting language, processing, executive function, and/or memory
· Lack of insight into disorder
· Social cognition deficits
· Hostility and aggression
Cognitive impairments caused by the disorder may persist when other symptoms are in remission. This contributes to impairments in functioning in employment, interpersonal relationships, and the ability to engage in proper self-care.
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we\'ll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.