Title of Assignment:
Module 06 Written Assignment – Diabetes Case Study
Purpose of Assignment:
Complications from endocrine disorders can result in wide systemic effects. Analyzing disorders related to the endocrine system can be complex. Consideration of an endocrine case study will help the student learn the complexities of understanding the pathophysiology of an endocrine disorder.
• Determine pathophysiologic alterations that affect the reproductive and endocrine systems
Using the case study below, prepare a 2-3 page paper.
Diabetes Case Study
A 21-year old female (A.M.) presents to the urgent care clinic with symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and a fever for 3 days. She states that she has Type I diabetes and has not been managing her blood sugars since she’s been ill and unable to keep any food down. She’s only tolerated sips of water and juices. Since she’s also been unable to eat, she hasn’t taken any insulin as directed. While helping A.M. from the lobby to the examining room you note that she’s unsteady, her skin is warm and flushed, and that she’s drowsy. You also note that she’s breathing rapidly and smell a slight sweet/fruity odor. A.M. has a challenge answering questions but keeps asking for water to drink.
You get more information from A.M. and learn the following:
• She had some readings on her glucometer which were reading ‘high’
• She vomits almost every time she takes in fluid
• She hasn’t voided for a day but voided a great deal the day before
• She’s been sleeping long hours and finally woke up this morning and decided to seek care
Current labs and vital signs:
1. What is the disorder and its pathophysiology that you expect the health care provider to diagnose and treat?
2. Describe the etiology of the disorder A.M. is experiencing.
3. Identify and describe the clinical manifestations of the disorder A.M. is experiencing.
4. Identify and describe the expected treatment options for A.M. based on the disorder and clinical manifestations.
Summarize the questions above and formulate what may be happening with A.M. and the expected treatments to improve her condition.
Use at least one scholarly source to support your findings. Examples of scholarly sources include academic journals, textbooks, reference texts, and CINAHL nursing guides. Be sure to cite your sources in-text and on a References, page using APA format.
You can find useful reference materials for this assignment in the School of Nursing guide: https://guides.rasmussen.edu/nursing/referenceebooks
Have questions about APA? Visit the online APA guide: https://guides.rasmussen.edu/apa
Case study adapted from:
Harding, M.M. & Snyder, J.S. (2015). Winningham’s critical thinking cases in nursing: Medical-surgical, pediatric, maternity, and psychiatric. https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/ras/detail.action?docID=2072336.
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we\'ll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.