■ Due December 8th
■ Worth 25% of your grade
■ Max 2500 words (without references, tables, figures, etc.)
■ For simplicity, use any referencing style and format – Tables/figures are not required but can be included
■ While sharing of published sources such as books, articles and website data IS permitted, NO collaboration should occur when producing the outline, rough drafts or final draft of your essay. This must be done individually
Topics ■ Must be chosen from assigned topics
■ Papers must use/address some ideas from the course itself – E.g., core/periphery, staples; physiography, human, historical, economic geography
■ Thesis should lay out what you are going to address in the paper and tell me exactly what your topic is
Topics ■ Topic #1: Minerals and Development
– Since the arrival of the first Europeans to North America, Canada has been one of the main suppliers of base and precious metals to the rest of the world. Write an essay assessing the positive and negative effects of mineral exploitation in a selected region of Canada. Pay particular attention to the environmental, economic, social, and political effects (both historical and long-term) of resource production on the region you have chosen to discuss. Comment (if applicable) on the rise and fall of company towns, and regions subject to the resource curse.
■ Topic #2: Separatism in Canada
– Separatism refers to the advocacy of separation or secession by a group or people from a larger political unit to which it belongs. In modern times, regional separatism in Canada has been identified with a desire for freedom from perceived oppression. Write an essay on the factors that bring rise to regional separatist movements in Canada: physical, cultural, economic, social, historical. Comment on if these issues are the same in the different separatist regions of Canada. Do you think Alberta and Quebec would succeed and prosper as independent countries? Explain why or why not.
■ Topic #3: Physical Geography and National Security
– National security refers to Canada’s capability to maintain its independent identity and integrity (population, territory, and assets). National security is geographic because it is constrained by the unique physical environments and culture systems for a region/country. Write an essay that explores how geography has helped influence historical aspects of security in Canada and how it is likely to do so in the future. How does Canada’s physical geography keep of safe and ensure our national security ?
Topics ■ Topic #4: Indigenous Cultural Identity
– There are several ways in which Aboriginal peoples in Canada self-identify and are defined by the government. These definitions have legal implications that often operate in unexpected ways. Write an essay on the methods in which these two systems of definition—one based in law and legislation, the other in family tradition and community practice—are frequently in conflict and influenced by geography.
■ Topic #5: Newfoundland and the USA
– In 1948, the Dominion of Newfoundland was an independent country that voted to join Canada after a series of referenda. However, a political party advocating for Union with United States of America fought on the anti-confederate side during the 1948 referendum campaigns and generated a significant amount of support. Write an essay on the potential long-term impacts that Newfoundland joining the USA as the 50th State in 1949 would have had on Canada’s economic, social, and political geography—both regionally and nationally.
References ■ Every paper needs to have multiple (reliable) references
■ Two requirements: – >2 have to be peer reviewed academic literature – I would expect the different aspects of your topic to have different references
■ E.g., you plan to bring together 3 different ideas into a cohesive argument, I would expect each of those ideas to have different references
■ If you are using a single reference constantly, you are likely just repeating what has been done before
Content (/30) 5 3 1 0 Research Question The research question and topics are
clear and formulated to-the-point and limits of the research are well-defined.
The research questions and the delineation of overall topics are somewhat clear but could have been defined sharper.
The research question and overall topic are not well defined.
Research question and overall topic are not identifiable.
Argument Development The major points to support the thesis can be clearly identified throughout the paper.
Some major points to support the thesis can be identified throughout the paper.
Few major points to support the thesis can be identified throughout the paper.
The major points to support the thesis are not developed throughout the paper.
Support for Argument with Data Data/ideas/conclusions from all references is used clearly, accurately, and concisely.
Data/ideas/conclusions from some references is used clearly, accurately, and concisely.
Little data/ideas/conclusions from the references is used clearly, accurately, and concisely.
No data from the references is provided.
Support for Argument with Analysis Author provides strong analysis that links the various ideas, references, thesis, etc. together.
Author provides some analysis that links the various ideas, references, thesis, etc. together.
Author provides an inadequate level of analysis to link the various ideas, references, thesis, etc. together.
Author provides no analysis.
Clarity of Conclusion(s) The conclusions of the paper are easily understandable and presented clearly and concisely.
The conclusions of the paper are mostly understandable but are not as clear or concise are possible.
The conclusions are not understandable.
Conclusions are not identifiable in the paper.
Applicability to Course Paper draws on and uses ideas, information, and other course content to address thesis.
Paper uses course ideas, information, etc. in passing and does not explore their use to address the thesis.
Paper does not reflect the course ideas, information, etc.
The topic of the paper does not fit into the Regional Geography of Canada.
Style (/12) 3 2 1 0 Title and headings Title and headings are concise,
descriptive, and match the content of the paper.
Title and headings are not concise or are not descriptive.
Title and headings are not concise nor descriptive.
Title is absent.
Applicability of References Multiple references are used (>2 academic/ peer reviewed papers) and all provide applicable information for addressing the thesis.
References are either limited, not the best sources of information to address the thesis, or do not contain >2 academic/peer reviewed papers.
References are limited, are not the best sources of information to address the thesis, and do not contain >2 academic/peer reviewed papers.
No references are provided.
Well structured (e.g., flow, order of topics)
Paper is well structured, easy to follow, and has a strong flow that make it easy to follow.
Paper is well structured overall but has some aspects that are more difficult to follow.
Paper is not well structured and is difficult to follow.
Paper has no intelligible structure.
Proper references and paper length. References and paper are provided in the proper format and paper is the appropriate length (~5 pages)P.
References or the paper are not in the proper format or paper is not the appropriate length.
References or the paper are not in the proper format and the paper is not the appropriate length.
References are identifiable and paper is not in an appropriate format.
Slide Number 7
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we\'ll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.