Be sure to base your initial post and responses on course materials, and use 7th ed. APA citations in every post.
1. The advertising industry has undergone a dramatic transformation in the past decade. In the past, advertisers had to guess where they could reach potential customers on television, radio and print. Now, much of the advertising budget is spent online where advertisers are able to reach specific individuals who are most likely to buy their advertiser’s product or service. Through Google they know what you have searched for and deliver ads for that. Amazon knows what you buy and suggests products based upon that. Facebook know a great deal about your life through your posts, your friends, your messages as well as any web site you sign in using your Facebook credentials. By matching email addresses, mobile phone numbers, IP addresses, advertisers can identify who you are and where you live. Superimposed upon this system is a network of data brokers who buy and sell data from online companies and assemble disparate pieces of data into a profile of individuals that undoubtedly include you. There is hardly any regulation of this data ecosystem. For an example, read the New York Times article on data apps and the data they provide.
Please discuss the following:
- What is your reaction to the fact that your personal data is widely available and bought and sold?
- Assuming that these practices are legal, do you believe that they are ethical or unethical?
- What would you suggest to change this system if you believe that the practices are unethical?
You must start a thread before you can read and reply to other threads
Theme 1: Emerging Technology
- Jennifer Golbeck The curly fry conundrum Why social media likes say more than you might think
- Bias already exists in search engine results, and it’s only going to get worse
- Facebook has revealed the hyper-specific internal rules it uses to police content
- Net neutrality rules are likely doomed, but the debate isn't going away
- California is on the verge of passing a sweeping new online privacy law targeting Facebook, Google and other tech giants
Theme 2: Data Protection
- Equifax Breach Exposed More Consumer Data Than First Disclosed
- The cost of data security: Are cybersecurity investments worth it?
- The ethics of Hacking 101
- US v Europe – a cultural gap on the right to be forgotten
- Tracking The Trackers
Theme 3: Privacy
- Technology as a Threat to Privacy: Ethical Challenges to the Information Profession
- FDA medical device plan zeros in on cybersecurity, public-private partnership
- Ethics and advanced medical devices: Do we need a new approach?
Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights—not the law
- European Union hits Google with record $5 billion fine in Android antitrust case
- The 10 Largest Data Security Breaches of 2018 (So Far)
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we\'ll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.