37053In the first three modules for this course, you have analyzed several ways in which the international arena has affected MENA states and regional relations. You have also examined the kinds of governments that have taken root in these states and the connection between regime type and political, economic, and social outcomes. This assignment requires that you look more closely at two states of your choice (in the region) and address specific questions related to what you have learned thus far.
Drawing on the historical background and information about political structures and processes provided in modules 1, 2, and 3, you are to write an essay that assesses the historical evolution of the political and economic systems of two states, comparing these two states in the Middle East and North Africa region. In this assessment, you may consider political structures (such as institutions, laws) and processes (such as elections, or other sociopolitical activity). You may also consider how societal constructs such as culture, religion, gender, wealth, etc. affect these nations’ political structures and processes. You will likely benefit from consulting Freedom House and the Arab Human Development Report (see reading list at the top of this module), as well as any reliable sources you find on your own. Your essay will be evaluated in terms of how thoroughly you: answer the questions below; use resources to document your main points; and properly cite referenced work.
1. Who was the colonial power for each state and how did each achieve independence?
2. How do the positions of each state compare during the Cold War? What is the current position of each state in the region (e.g., is it powerful, does it have a significant role, if so, how?).
3. How do the economic and political systems of the two states compare? For example, which state is more democratic, and why; and how would you make this assessment?
To successfully complete this assignment, you will need to organize your responses to these questions and then craft a formatted essay that includes each of the following:
• A title page;
• Well-developed introductory paragraph explaining the purpose of the essay and briefly referencing some of the main points/contentions offered in the essay;
• The body of the essay should consist of your effort to best answer the primary questions from the assignment prompt and should consist of at least 1,250 words of text (at least 5 pages of double-spaced and 12 point font of text). Though the method by which this is done is largely up to you, it is essential that the responses to the questions in the prompt be based upon scholarly readings and should remain at all times defensible (in an academic sense). You have a great deal of information to draw from in creating your essay, including the assigned readings and hyperlinked sources in the module notes. As is the case with every assignment, presenting any unsubstantiated, illogical, or indefensible position will have an adverse effect on the final grade.
• A concise concluding paragraph that briefly restates both the purpose of the essay as well as some of the primary argument offered by you, the essay’s author. Be sure the concluding paragraph does not introduce new information;
• A list of all sources consulted the preparation of the essay. The essay should be formatted according to APA-style documentation This includes the format of the list of references.
Fawcett, Louise. 2013. International Relations of the Middle East. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, pp. 103-147.
Module Notes: Political systems: Democracy Deficits and the Rentier State
Optional As needed for Assignment 1:
Selvik, K., & Stenslie, S. (2011). Stability and change in the modern Middle East. London: I.B. Tauris.
Schwarz, R. (2011). War and State Building in the Middle East. Gainesville: University Press of Florida.
Lennon, A. T. J. (2014). The epicenter of Crisis: the new middle east. Retrieved from https://ebookcentral.proquest.com
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we'll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.