37099Objectives: 1000 word promt
1. To develop an argument of definition by closely observing and analyzing specific media examples (as listed in the options below) that engage gender definitions.
2. Students will practice drawing specific textual and visual details to support their assertions.
3. To effectively organize an essay (thesis statement, focused paragraphs, introduction, conclusion) that forwards an argument using effective support and logical reasoning.
4. This assignment asks you to look at how contemporary media defines us as a culture and/or specific subcultures and issues specifically as regards gender. Visual and textual mediums communicate a great deal to the public psyche about notions of who and what we are and what we should strive to become. How we read and interpret these messages is based on our own subject positions—our own race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation and our cultural experiences, etc. Each of us is bombarded daily with messages regarding American ideals from a wide variety of sources, like family, friends, school, work, religion and the media. These messages often forward arguments of definition that shape and define who we are and what we value. While it’s relatively easy to reject some of these messages based on differences of opinion as exhibited through generational, ethnic, racial, and gendered perspectives, etc., others are more difficult to ignore because of their insidiousness.
5. The options for this assignment ask you to examine the ways in which contemporary media engage definitions of gender and the extent to which they might send mixed messages about who we are and what we should value.
6. Writing Prompt: In a 1,000 word thesis driven essay respond to one of the following two option
7. Taking the Surfer magazine youtube video approach by Lisa Wade “Hegemonic Masculinity in Surfer Magazine”
select and closely analyze the gender codes in a current (January 2017 or newer) magazine of your choosing (you should not analyze a Surfer magazine as that has already been done in Lisa Wade’s video). Then write a paper in which you analyze the types of Masculinities and Femininities you find in the images and text of the editorial pages. You are free to form your own categories but you will need to draw specific evidence from the images and texts in the magazine’s editorial pages. Your thesis should state whether you see the magazine as ultimately promotes more traditional or a more progressive non-traditional view of gender. Remember: the majority of your paper (the body paragraphs) should focus on analyzing the specific images in the magazine.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS:
• For both options I and II your thesis should offer a clear stance as to whether you see the television show or magazine as promoting more traditional or non-traditional gender roles and behaviors.—take a stance. Gender Analysis Sample Thesis and Body Paragraph
• Your paper should cite (quote in an engaged/thoughtful manner) at least two of the assigned readings for this unit and include a works cited page. If you consult other sources, you will need to give them appropriate credit following the Modern Language Association (MLA) format for intext citations and works cited pages. Purdue Online Writing Lab (google it) has examples and explanations of the MLA format. Also, our textbook has a section on citing sources. Writing Tips: Quotations
Are you looking for custom essay writing service or even dissertation writing services? Just request for our write my paper service, and we'll match you with the best essay writer in your subject! With an exceptional team of professional academic experts in a wide range of subjects, we can guarantee you an unrivaled quality of custom-written papers.
Why Hire Collepals.com writers to do your paper?
Quality- We are experienced and have access to ample research materials.
We write plagiarism Free Content
Confidential- We never share or sell your personal information to third parties.
Support-Chat with us today! We are always waiting to answer all your questions.